May 29, 2008
So in February, during our last US tour with the almighty MI AMI, we went to an after-party in Detroit that celebrated the life and work of the Electrifying Mojo (aka Charles Johnson), a legendary Detroit radio personality. I also walked in on people fucking in the bathroom, but that is a different story (not really). Anyway, Mojo was one of the first DJs in America to play “white music” for black people and vice versa, making everything from the B-52s to Juan Atkins (See, in 2008, that doesn’t even seem like a ridiculous combination) come together. Click and read the legendary Prince interview.
For some reason I love this part:
PRINCE: Yeah, it’s gonna be in black and white…
MOJO: …and we know it’s gonna be quote unquote “helluva.”
The homie/DJ/record library Ari G has a Moodymann 12″ that uses the audio of this interview as the vocals, cutting out all of the Prince parts, and looping things that Mojo says. Shit is crazy! BUT I HAVE TO FIND IT. So when (if) I find (steal) the song, i will post the mp3 ASAP.
May 29, 2008
Indulge me please…
Recently, I’ve had to renew my passport, in anticipation of future FoodForAnimals trips to Europe (July) and hopefully Japan (November). That means, for me, its been ten years of international travel. As to whether the impending economic/ecological crises will support another ten years of globetrotting seems pretty up-in-the-air at this point. Perhaps this is the end of the travel (globalization) era; not only in my life, but also in history?
So sending in my passport, never to be seen again, was a little difficult for me. I don’t really take pictures (always kills the moment), and I have a terrible memory, so I can’t help but think that something will be gone forever once I have a new passport. So I scanned it. Sorry.
SouthEastAsia (many stamps washed out with buttsweat)
More China/SouthEastAsia/Europe etc
And here’s what I looked like in 1998. hah.
More music soon.
May 26, 2008
So, first, a big WHUT UP to everybody reading this. Thanks to everyone that’s heard our music and/or come to a show. Anybody who hasn’t, hopefully we’ll catch you on the next go-round.
This being my first post, I wanna talk about something that really inspired me as a kid: the movie House Party. It came out in 1990, so I was 7 years old, and it blew my 7 year old mind. The rapping, the dancing, the girls, the partying… I wanted to be a part of that world.
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, here’s the breakdown. It stars rap duo Kid and Play as… Kid and Play, two high schoolers trying to throw a dope house party while Play’s parents are out of town. Problem is, Kid’s father won’t let him go because he got in a fight with the school bully earlier that day. There’s also a love-square (yep) between Kid, Play and the 2 flyest girls in school: Sidney and Sharane. Kid decides to sneak outta the house to attend the party, and chaos ensues. His father is tracking him down, the bullies are still trying to beat his ass, he has a rap battle AND a dance battle at the party, he has to carefully decide which girl he wants to pursue… and to top it all off, two bitch ass cops fuck with everyone the whole way through. If that’s not enough, peep this excerpt from Wikipedia’s plot summary: “After that, he jumps over a fence to get away, ending up looking in a window where a fat man is having rough sex with a hooker (*1).”
Any movie where Full Force are the main antagonists is worth a look. Oh, and this film contains what might be the only (if not, certainly the greatest) anti-anal-rape rap performance of all time. For real.
I chose a couple clips to post, but you should do yourself a favor and just buy the DVD (*2). The shit is great. Me, Occmo, VV and BFP (VV’s brother) were all just at my house watching it and it never gets old.
1. The Genius of Robin Harris – This is the greatest father in movie history. In this clip he’s at the party looking for his son (Kid). Trout-mouthed heathen is by far the funniest thing you could possibly call someone. Test-tube baby is a close second though.
2. The Flyest- This is the epic dance battle of the sexes. Kid and Play versus Sidney and Sharane (played by Tisha Campbell and AJ Johnson at their absolute finest). This is why I was always winning the dance contest (*3) at every family get-together. Me and my cousins stayed doin the Kid and Play dance. And peep Martin Lawrence as the DJ.
3. Inspiration – this might be the first rap battle I ever saw in my life. The way they were addressing each other through rhyme, the way the crowd was cheering, the energy… this scene kinda made me wanna be a MC. Look out for the girl dancin real hard in the corner with the red shirt and black gloves on. She was KILLIN IT.
I could write a book about House Party. There’s so much more cool/quirky/weird/awesome shit in it, but this post is long enough already. See it.
*1. Nowhere in the film is it stated that the woman is a hooker. Is whoever wrote the wikipedia summary just assuming the woman was a prostitute because she was fuckin a fat guy? Come on now…
*2. While you’re at it, buy House Party 2 as well. It’s not as good, but it has some really funny parts. Kid and Play are in college and Full Force are the campus security guards. Nuff said.
*3. Usually at black family get-togethers, at some point all the kids have a dance contest. If you’re not black, you probably don’t know what I’m talking about. For my family, New Year’s Eve parties always became epic dance-offs. Try it at your next family gathering.
May 22, 2008
This shit is not safe for work, or children. I’m (VV) showing extreme amounts of bare doink, and I eat the planet. This video is proof, to me, that FFA is touching the hearts and minds of other people. A LOT of work went into a video that is essentially a NAKED ME, GALLAVANTING AROUND DOING INSANE THANGS. Beautiful. A hearty shout out to Martin Sulzer and The Landjugend for making it naked:
May 22, 2008
For my first post on this site, I’m going to use three (3) youtube videos to shine some light on where FFA is coming from (at least, from my perspective). I think an accurate representation would take about 126 youtube videos, but it could be done.
1. Jah Shaka tearing down a 90′s dance hall so hard that it sounds like Wolf Eyes or some shit. Check the vid around 6:16 for probably the most insane grooving i have ever seen. Also check for the excellent British white dudes with pre-rolled whiteboys behind their ears and like, Primal Scream t-shirts. Wine up I waist.
2. The first time (a very truncated) Food For Animals toured Europe, our booking agent Christoph (BILLA!!!!!) had an assistant who was, apparently, mean on the mic. The info I wrote when I uploaded this video two years ago (jesus) still rings the truest:
“Our friend from Berlin busting a serious move. Background beat courtesy of drunk Vulture V from Food For Animals and yelling courtesy of this US ex-patriot dude who was real lame.”
The best part about this video is that my friend Marc was living, for a time, with this German girl Agatha (sp?) and she translated the video for me, while listening to the lyrics on headphones:
“i’m pretty…I’m very beautiful…I’m cool…I’m cool…I’m awesome…I’m better than you at rapping…”
3. I recently read the “Invisible Jukebox” with Carl Craig from the latest issue of Wire magazine. At one point they play him “Sharevari” by A Number Of Names and he knows the song after the first clap. This is one of my all-time favorite songs; it’s so fucking coooool. I love in the video when the announcer mentions that people have called in requesting no videos, just dancing. Yes. I also love when the host butchers the group’s name and appears, undoubtedly, to be high as fuck on coke. Don’t stop till you jit enough:
TA TA FOR NOW